Profile image for DomCar

Wetherspoons' new pub in Wimborne opens on the 17th January, but what do we think of the name, 'The Man In The Wall'?

By DomCar at 18:30 on 10/01/12

Re-post           

• Profile image for muddymilly

Hi DomCar, do we know where the name came from, what is the history of it? Maybe it would make more sense if we knew the history of why it was chosen? Though saying that, I haven't walked past since the name went up to see if the reason behind the name is displayed.

By muddymilly at 01:27 on 11/01/12

• Profile image for DomCar

I have no idea and I suspect we'll only find out when it opens. Does seem a very odd name though. Not entirely sure I like it.

By DomCar at 09:35 on 11/01/12

• Profile image for wimbornelad

Good grief! Call yourselves locals?! We need to cut Wetherspoons a fair amount of slack here and assume that they have actually done some local research - the answer must surely lie in the minster.The Ettricke tomb contains a long dead Wimburnian who didn't want to be buried either inside or outside the church and is therefore "The man in the wall". I quote:

"The tomb of Anthony Ettricke, popularly known as "The Man in the Wall". He was Recorder of Poole, and was the magistrate before whom the Duke of Monmouth was brought after the Battle of Sedgemoor.
    Tradition says that he was somewhat eccentric, and having been offended by the people of Wimborne, declared that he would be buried neither on their church, nor without it, neither in their ground, nor above it.But afterwards, desiring to be buried with his ancestors, yet not willing to break his vow, he obtained permission to be buried in the wall, and there his coffin was placed during his lifetime.He was convinced that he would die in 1693 and had this date inscribed on the coffin. In fact he did not die until 1703 and the alteration of date is easily seen."

So - named after a famous local loon! Bet we could all think of a few.....

By wimbornelad at 17:27 on 11/01/12

Lol, that's funny... and you obviously have far too much time on your hands ;-)

By DomCar at 13:22 on 12/01/12

Thank you wimbornelad for that informed history lesson :-)

By muddymilly at 15:25 on 12/01/12

@ muddymilly - not a problem! I remember being taken round the minster on a first school trip and the tomb is most amusing.

"Too much time on my hands"?! Cheek! I seem to be the one actually providing the answers after a quick google to refresh my memory! The quote is from the minster's own site.
    So do we like the name now?
    Domcar - try googling Wetherspoons menu - you may be pleasantly surprised! :)

By wimbornelad at 17:26 on 12/01/12

• Profile image for frankiep

The place looks nice and we have only exchanged one pub for another the Puddin and Pye has closed recently, no great loss to the town I add. I saw the name and wondered so immediately went to the Minster site and there was the answer. No real mystery if the answer is a couple of clicks on a computer away. I like the name local historic and appropriate as the Minster dominates the history and the landscape of the town. Perhaps we can rename the square the magic roundabout.

By frankiep at 08:21 on 14/01/12

We lose Puddin & Pye and gain another Indian restaurant...how many is that we have now?

By DomCar at 18:54 on 16/01/12

• Profile image for Bette_Noir

1 - Asiana
    2 - Minster Spice
    3 - Wimborne Tandori
    4 - Indian Nights
    5 - Red Fort

With the P&P Turning into one that will make it 6 in total.

By Bette_Noir at 14:47 on 17/01/12

ok the big question - (as I haven't been past it since the weekend), has the Weatherspoon's pub opened yet - and more importantly, has anyone been in to see what its like? Was due to open yesterday I believe .....oh and on another note - I was made redundant the week before Christmas after nearly 9 years with the same organisation. If anyone knows of a job (I am looking to have a change of work as dont want to be stuck behind a screen again all day if I can help it but appreciate that I cannot be choosy). Am thinking of activities co-ordinator/planner at day centre/old people's home/fundraising/ or a job that actually involves talking to real people rather than a machine, do drop me a line! I know its cheeky to ask on here but if you dont ask, you dont get. Already doing volunteering (with a local charity for 6 years) and am at college in the evening. Thanks, Muddymilly

By muddymilly at 15:38 on 18/01/12

No, haven't been in yet, but I am planning to at the weekend.

Good luck with the job hunting muddymilly.

By DomCar at 09:39 on 20/01/12

Thanks DomCar - it tough out there - very little around, its networking where the jobhunting lies! Will probably stroll past the pub at the weekend to see how busy it looks and what its like - though I have to admit I didnt want another pub in town, nor a Weatherspoons but thats just my humble opinion before I get struck down by others !

By muddymilly at 10:14 on 20/01/12

It's got to be better than the Pudding & Pye though, hasn't it! Will pop in tonight!

By wimbornelad at 17:28 on 20/01/12

Have now been ther on two occasions and it was really busy especially on saturday PM just after lunch. The food looks ok the same menu as any other wetherspoons UK wide chips with everyhting the drinks are reasonable priced though not dramatically discounted to make it the only reason for going. Surroundings pleasant bar area nice and plenty of staff no long waits ro be served. The quieter areas have some comfortable chairs and plenty of tables but these are family areas so the chances of sitting quietly other than late evening is remote. There is no doubt that many people are trying it out as it is new but they may well change their habits as a consequebce depends what you want. The outside space is depressing and a sop to the smokers, smoking areas shoul all be on the moon, so in the summer the Olive Branch will still be my watering hole of choice and probably remain so in the winter. Result OK but not spectacular just another wetherspoons you either love them or hate them. It will put some of the smaller pubs under pressure and they may well go under but do we really need so many????

By frankiep at 07:47 on 22/01/12

I went in on Sunday mid afternoon and it was very busy - how long this will last is anyone's guess. Took a while to get served, as the barmaid was a little slow, and I didn't order food as there was nearly an hours wait..! An hour? And not even at peak time. Plus they were running out of certain types of food like chicken.

There are plenty of tables for families to sit down and enjoy themselves, much more so than any other pub in the town. It was full of families when I went in, so I guess they've been crying out for a pub like this for a while. I think other pubs in the town that claim to be family friendly might start to suffer.

The front steps and doors aren't very helpful to the disabled or parents with pushchairs, so if you fall into either of those categories you are best off entering the pub through the rear.

A friend went in on Friday night and said it was packed, so much so you could hardly move. Guess it's proving popular.

By DomCar at 10:29 on 24/01/12

Think I will also stay with the Olive Branch in the summer (and the winter) for their garden (those heat lamps are sooo cosy on your back!)....will try the Weatherspoons, but believe the Olive Branch will still be the favourite for outdoor space (and this is from a non-smoker! ....

By muddymilly at 20:44 on 28/01/12

I agree Wetherspoons is ok if you want cheap drinks and a crowd but the Olive Branch is still my preferred watering hole Cosy fire in the winter great garden in the summer nice atmosphere no matter when you go there, no contest bring on the good weather.

By frankiep at 13:07 on 09/02/12

Couldn't agree more with you frankiep.

By DomCar at 10:41 on 10/02/12

But I will use The Man In The Wall for taking the family out, as I think it is now the best place in Wimborne town centre for families.

By DomCar at 10:55 on 10/02/12

• Profile image for McAngry

I went there the other day. Dirty spoons and full of old people. Like me.

By McAngry at 11:15 on 10/02/12

I've not eaten there yet. What's the food like?

By DomCar at 11:17 on 10/02/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent