Wrap up warm in Wimborne, this cold weather might go on for weeks.
By alfiebass | Friday, November 26, 2010, 10:21
With sub zero temperatures, a hard frost overnight and reports of
snow in other parts of the country, what's going on in the Wimborne
According to the BBC, forecasters say the cold spell could last a
fortnight, with snow reaching England's southern counties next week.
You can find details of all the roads that have been gritted by going to the Dorset for You website.
Dorset County Council has a high-tech approach to deal
with the effects of winter weather on the road network, and operates 24
hours a day from October to April using a computerised 'Icelert' system.
These weather stations provide
essential meteorological and road surface information to enable accurate
predictions regarding road surface conditions. This ensures an
efficient, proactive, winter road treatment programme.
comprises five weather stations situated throughout the county at
strategic locations representative of the micro-climates that occur.
The five locations are:
- Wyke Road, Weymouth (assessing Dorset south of the Ridgeway)
- A356 Toller Down, north of Beaminster (assessing between Bridport and Yeovil)
- A30 Sherborne, west of Sherborne (assessing the Blackmore Vale)
- A338 Wessex Way, Bournemouth (assessing the conurbation and Hurn area)
- A35 Organford, east of Slepe (assessing Purbeck north of the Ridgeway)